The Android beta was released on 5 November 2007, while the software developer's kit (SDK) was released on 12 November 2007.
Android 1.0, the first commercial version of the software, was released on 23 September 2008. The first Android device, the HTC Dream (G1),incorporated the following Android 1.0 features:
- Android Market application download and updates through the Market app
- Web browser to show, zoom and pan full HTML and XHTML web pages – multiple pages show as windows ("cards")
- Camera support – however this version lacked the option to change the camera's resolution, white balance, quality, etc.
- Folders allowing the grouping of a number of app icons into a single folder icon on the Home screen.
- Access to web email servers, supporting POP3, IMAP4, and SMTP.
- Gmail synchronization with the Gmail app
- Google Contacts synchronization with the People app
- Google Calendar synchronization with the Calendar app
- Google Maps with Latitude and Street View to view maps and satellite imagery, as well as find local business and obtain driving directions using GPS
- Google Sync, allowing management of over-the-air synchronization of Gmail, People, and Calendar
- Google Search, allowing users to search the Internet and phone apps, contacts, calendar, etc
- Google Talk instant messaging
- Instant messaging, text messaging, and MMS
- Media Player, enabling management, importing, and playback of media files – however, this version lacked video and stereo Bluetooth support
- Notifications appear in the Status bar, with options to set ringtone, LED or vibration alerts
- Voice Dialer allows dialing and placing of phone calls without typing a name or number
- Wallpaper allows the user to set the background image or photo behind the Home screen icons and widgets
- YouTube video player
- Other apps include: Alarm Clock, Calculator, Dialer (Phone), Home screen (launcher), Pictures (Gallery), and Settings.
- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth support
On 9 February 2009, the Android 1.1 update was released, initially for the T-Mobile G1 only. The update resolved bugs, changed the API and added a number of other features:
- Details and reviews available when a user searches for businesses on Maps
- Longer in-call screen timeout default when using the speakerphone, plus ability to show/hide dialpad
- Ability to save attachments in messages
- Support added for marquee in system layouts